The Batman - Peak Comic Noir
March 08, 2022
Melvin & Dan
Melvin and Daniel return to the world of superheroes! In this episode they discuss the newest adaption in the long-running cinematic Batman canon.
- Are there too many Batmen in 2022?
- Production history leading up to the release of The Batman.
- For Melvin, there's a lot to like about The Batman in terms of adapting the noir, mystery nature of DC's greatest detective.
- ...but, there was a point when Melvin thought, "This movie is just okay." while watching it in theaters.
- Melvin, "But the problem is in a movie that's gonna be 3 hours, I really hope everything's worthwhile."
- When Melvin would see the trailer for The Batman, he kept thinking, "This movie's biggest fault will be it's overt self-seriousness."
- Daniel really liked the movie, and felt Gotham felt more alive than ever.
- Also, for Daniel the strength of the movie is based upon its "theming and understand of the Batman as a thing that exists."
- Daniel, "I love that this is an actual deconstruction that has something meaningful to say about deconstructing Batman."
- Discussing Robert Pattinson's performance.
- Getting into spoiler talk and getting into Paul Dano's Riddler.
- Surmising Batman's narrative arc in potential sequels.
- We have got to talk about the worst scene in the entire movie, bar none.
Support on Patreon for Unique Perks!
- Early access to uncut episodes
- Vote on a movie/show we review
Social Links: Support the show