Redeeming Love - A Marriage of Sacred & Secular
March 22, 2022
Melvin & Dan
Before Dune, Daniel saw a trailer for Redeeming Love. After the trailer played, he leaned over to his friend and said, "I think that's supposed to be a sexy Christian movie.". So, here we are talking about that "sexy Christian movie". Boy, there sure is a lot to talk about here.
- Melvin compares Redeeming Love to an awkward interaction he witnessed at work.
Redeeming Love contains some rather extreme and transgressive content despite having a serious lack of context.
- Daniel details some background for Redeeming Love, author/screenwriter Francine Rivers, and director D.J. Caruso.
Redeeming Love is loosely based on the Minor Prophet book Hosea from the Bible.
- Each character feels devoid of personality which may work in both a shorter and more artistic film than Redeeming Love ends up being.
- Where Redeeming Love works is where it leans heavily into its "inspiration", but even then, that's not success from talent, that's success from... copying Scripture.
- Discussing the comparatively excessive conveniently censored nudity in Redeeming Love.
- Additionally, discussing all the other crazy content that borders on "Christian misery porn."
- As we continue our discussion, the 2+hour runtime of the film continues to be a recurring issue.
- At least the sets and outfits are fun!
- Questioning why the film didn't display the complicated dynamics of sexuality (gentle self-sacrifice vs aggressive selfishness) in a way that can be both edifying to its performers and beneficial to the narrative structure.
- One glaring issue throughout the film is each character's severe lack of agency.
- Observations from other reviews and responses to Redeeming Love.
- Is this a Christian exploitation film in the traditional sense of an exploitation film?
Support on Patreon for Unique Perks!
- Early access to uncut episodes
- Vote on a movie/show we review
Social Links:Support the show