Prey - Or, the Actual First Sequel to Predator
August 09, 2022
Melvin & Dan
Melvin & Dan talk about the latest Predator movie, Prey, that probably should have been in theaters, right?
- (PATREON EXCLUSIVE) 50-minutes talking about the benefits to physical media over streaming, and the exciting world of special features w/ examples. (PATREON EXCLUSIVE)
- Immediate disappointment that Prey was not in theaters.
- Jacob Knight on Letterboxd writes that Predator is at its best when it just embraces its "Pro Wrestling" aesthetic.
- Predator has always been more enjoyable when it's simple. This is why Predators can feel pretty fun at times, and why Prey feels great all the time.
- Melvin & Dan want to see the Predator dropped into other time periods: pirates, samurai, ancient Greece. All sorts of weird, high concept stuff!
- Amber Midthunder was very pleased to see the depictions of Native Americans in Prey was not hyper spiritual and shamanistic.
- There's a cultural, current fascination with "simple" movies; movies with high concepts that are easy to explain and easier to understand.
- Dakota Beavers, really the only other character in the movie, who also has no other credits on IMDB, was also pretty great!
- As far as we can tell, all the Native American characters have Native American heritage, which is really great!
- Ranking the Predator movies.
Recommendations: Support the show
Support on Patreon for Unique Perks!
- Early access to uncut episodes
- Vote on a movie/show we review
- One-time reward of two Cinematic Doctrine Stickers