Masters of the Universe: Revelation (P1) - Critics vs. Fans, A Tale as Old as Time
August 10, 2021
Melvin & Dan
Melvin and Daniel discuss the highly divisive new installment in the Masters of the Universe franchise.
- After restarting Arrested Development (again x16+), Melvin wonders what it would be like for the Russo brothers to return to comedy.
- Daniel imagines their return to the MCU for a Marvel Comedy procedural.
- Introducing Masters of the Universe: Revelation (S1E1-5) [8:38]
- Basically, Kevin Smith and his group of friends wrote/produced MotU:R and that got Daniel really interested
- Critics loved it. Fans hated it. We can't really explain these reasons without spoiling the show, but it's worth the discussion.
- Melvin wasn't totally on-board with MotU:R, but that's because he's growing tired of the "Reboot Template".
- Unpacking the controversial complicating incident for the season, and how not being invested in He-Man may be a benefit to the show.
- MotU:R raises the stakes and adds depth to its characters, something the original show never did.
- Daniel, on one reason critic reception can be so different than fan reception, "When you watch, like, 10 movies a week and you're watching all these shows, something that stands out is gonna really hit different."
- But, we're all guilty of going "back in my day!" with things we loved when growing up.
- Melvin, "Do you think it's, like, the comfortability of chasing identity that draws people in to be so angry about this stuff?"
- Sympathy for those who idolize things, acceptance that it's okay to not like things, but the importance of a reality check over what priorities take stock in our lives.
- Expanding on the "Reboot Template" and why Melvin is growing tired of it (Editor's Note: Melvin means Star Wars, not Star Trek: The Motion Picture, when talking about a movie shown in theaters, like, 7 years in a row)
- Are we interested in watching the rest of S1?
Support on Patreon for Unique Perks!
Support the show